Thursday, May 26, 2011

Getting back in the groove

Not going to lie, these past few weeks have been more stress and less working out than normal. Right before the biggest work event (fundraiser dinner) of the year, I came down with what I thought was a cold. This cold quickly morphed into full on bronchitus- so running (or walking, or staying awake) was not an option. It took me well over two weeks to get back to being able to walk around the block without hacking.

About that time- I started having sever back pain. In between my shoulder blades and radiating down my back. It was so bad that it triggered 4 migraines in a weeks period. All my doctor would do was offer to prescribe pain pills and muscle relaxers (no thank you!) so I took a leap of faith and contacted a chiropracter that my coworker referred me to. The inital exam was awkward and he took about 15 xrays of my back. I don't know the results yet- I have an appointment today- but he thinks he will be able to help me AND (unlike my regular doctor) told me that he wants me to increase my running and focus on my form. YAY!

Then came graduation, which shouldn't have been that stressful. I finished my last class in January so technically i've been done for awhile. The stress came from my parents meeting my boyfriend's parents (we've been dating for over 4 years). Our parents had never met before so while the boyfriend was at work i had the responsibility of introducing them and then RUNNING (yes, i mean it) to graduation so I wouldn't be late.

With all this going on- running and working out in general has taken a back seat. I haven't gained any weight but I don't feel as strong as I did a month ago. Before I knew it- I hadn't run in over 2 weeks and was feeling very down. Thankfully I have some AWESOME blogger friends to look to for inspiration. A mid-week mall run with a local blogger buddy was amazing for my spirit- not to mention it made me twice as productive when I got back to work. I am hoping to make this a weekly occurance, it is nice to have a running buddy to pace with and not feel the slightest bit of competition!

I hope everyone has an awesome Memorial Day! I was intitally going to go visit my parents back home- but because of the weather that plan fell thorugh. Hopefully i'll get the boyfriend to take me out on the kayak this weekend! *crosses fingers*

No comments:

Post a Comment