Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bummer and HELP!

So I went to the doctor today.....

I have been having back pain for as long as I can remember, and never thought it would really affect me. Normally, i'd just down two advil or another over the counter pain reliever and i'd go about my business.

About 2 years ago, I started getting severe migraine headaches. I never tied the two together until the last semester in grad school. I was in complete and total pain pretty much 24/7. My shoulders and lower back ached, i'd get at least one horrible headache a week and i knew something had to give.

I went to my PCP and described the pain and all she told me was that they could give me some muscle relaxers and some pain pills. This wasn't what i wanted to hear- i wanted to find out what was causing the pain- but that's all i got. So a friend of mine convinced me to try a chiropractor. My doctor referred me and i had my first initial visit on Monday. He and i met today to discuss my x-rays. My back is a mess (surprise, surprise). I have neck pain and lower back issues and my spine, instead of looking like a pretty S curve, looks more like my s from kindergarten (read as.... not good).

For the next 30 days i'll have 3 adjustments per week. I'm banned from running for 2 weeks but really really want to keep trying to lose weight. This is where i need your help - blogger friends! How do you lose weight when you can't run, what are some good exercises and low impact things that i can do to burn those calories?? Two weeks isn't the end of the world, but i'm definitely not the 30 minutes on the elliptical type. I'll get bored after 10 minutes!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so frustrating! When I was out with shin splints I biked a lot instead. I've also taken up swimming lately. It was difficult at first, but now I'm really enjoying it, especially on days where my knee or shins hurt, since it's low-impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find a pool near the office so that i can head there after work! I haven't swam in years but i really need to get back into it. I am going to start biking to work next week and maybe throw an extra spin class this week to burn more calories. Why can't my body do what I want it to do!?

    ReplyDelete